Date(s) - 17/09/2013
Category(ies) No Categories
To be held in conjunction with EC-TEL 2013, Paphos (Cyprus). September 17, 2013.
—– Call for papers and demos —–
3rd Workshop on Awareness and Reflection in Technology-Enhanced Learning (ARTEL13)
to be held in conjunction with EC-TEL 2013, Paphos (Cyprus). September 17, 2013.
Submission deadline: 30.06.2013
Workshop webpage: http://teleurope.eu/artel13
Twitter hashtag: #artel13
—– Introduction —–
Awareness and Reflection are important aspects of Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL) and have to be adequately supported to enable learners to tap the potential of learning tools. The concepts awareness and reflection are viewed differently across the disciplines informing TEL (CSCW, CSCL, psychology, educational sciences, computer science, …). ARTEL13 aims to push forward the discussion and research on these concepts in TEL. This year’s theme for ARTEL 2013 is:
“How can awareness and reflection support learning in different settings (work, education, continuing professional development, lifelong learning, etc.). What are the roles that technology can play to support awareness and reflection in these contexts?”
This workshop is a direct follow-up of last year’s EC-TEL workshop ARTEL12, and the previous workshops ARNETS11 (Awareness and Reflection in Learning Networks) and ALECR11 (Augmenting the Learning Experience with Collaborative Reflection).
—– Objectives —–
The objectives of this workshop are
1. to provide a forum for presenting and discussing research on awareness and reflection in TEL
2. to create an interactive experience that connects participants’ research, current tools or latest prototypes and models with real end users’ learning experiences and requirements regarding reflection technology
3. to create an agenda for future ARTEL research and development.
—– Topics of interest —–
We invite contributions that address the following aspects:
– Theoretical discussion of awareness and reflection in TEL and related concepts (e.g. collaborative learning, creativity techniques, experiential learning)
– Methodologies to identify, study and analyse awareness and reflection in the context of (technology-enhanced) learning
– Empirical studies about technology support for awareness and reflection
– Technology (design, application, evaluation) supporting awareness and reflection
– Designing awareness and reflection in TEL applications and processes
– Using awareness and reflection support to enhance the learning experience
– Awareness of social context, knowledge, artefacts and processes
– Awareness and reflection in specific contexts, such as higher education, work-integrated learning, learning networks, etc.
—– Submission —–
Authors are invited to submit original, unpublished work. The organisers particularly encourage the submission of work-in-progress, cutting-edge prototypes. The following types of contributions are welcome:
– Full papers (max. 15 pages) that describe problems, needs, novel approaches and frameworks within the scope of the workshop. Empirical evaluation papers and industrial experience reports are welcome for submission.
– Short papers (max. 7 pages) that state the position of the authors within the scope of the workshop and describe solution concepts and work in progress.
– Demo papers (max. 2 pages) describing the motivation of the concept, the system and technology, and scenarios of application. During the workshop will be a dedicated slot were you can present and discuss your system. Additionally, you can submit a video of your system. Videos will be featured on TELeurope.eu.
Please submit your proposal via the ginkgo event management system at http://ginkgo.cs.upb.de/
events/artel13. All submitted contributions will be peer-reviewed by at least two members of the program committee for originality, significance and quality.
The papers will be published in the CEUR-WS.org (http://ceur-ws.org) workshops proceedings. Submissions should use the Springer LNCS template (http://www.springer.com/
—– Important dates —–
30.06.2013 Submission Deadline
10.08.2013 Notification of Acceptance
30.08.2013 Camera-Ready Papers due
—– Organizers —–
Milos Kravcik, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Birgit Krogstie, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
Adam Moore, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Viktoria Pammer, Knowledge Technologies Institute, TU Graz, Austria
Lucia Pannese, imaginary, Italy
Michael Prilla, University of Bochum, Germany
Wolfgang Reinhardt, WALLMEDIEN AG / European Association of Technology Enhanced Learning, Germany
Thomas Ullmann, The Open University, United Kingdom
—– Format of the workshop —–
The workshop will have a mixture of paper presentations, a demo session and interactive group work. We aim to link theory and existing prototypes (both from the involved projects and from the presented papers and demos) to practical needs in educational and professional settings. This link will be of value to both practitioners (in that research insights become more tangible) and researchers (in that insights and research prototypes become grounded in practice).
We will use various media to encourage comments, questions and identification of hot topics during the workshop. Highlights from the presented papers and tools will be brought together in light of the workshop agenda in a final summary session, and the result will be presented during ECTEL 2013 both in the workshop summary and in the prototype sessions.
The tentative programme is as follows:
– Morning session 1: Paper presentations
– Morning session 2: Interactive demo session
– Afternoon session 1: Paper presentations
– Afternoon session 2: Interactive, small group work and plenum
—– Supporting projects —–
ARTEL13 pulls together research on awareness and reflection in technology-enhanced learning across disciplines (psychology, educational science, computer science) and across European TEL projects:
– MIRROR (Reflective Learning at Work): http://www.mirror-project.eu/
– ImREAL (Immersive Reflective Experience-based Adaptive Learning): http://www.imreal-project.eu/
– Learning Layers (Scaling up Technologies for Informal Learning in SME Cluster): http://learning-layers.eu/
—– Networking and updates —–
To stay updated about the event and with the activity of the goup, consider to join the Awareness and Reflection in Technology-Enhanced Learning group (http://teleurope.eu/artel).
—– Background of the workshop —–
The 3rd Workshop on Awareness and Reflection in Technology-Enhanced Learning (ARTEL13) is the third workshop in a successful series of EC-TEL workshops.
– 2nd Workshop on Awareness and Reflection in Technology-Enhanced Learning (ARTEL12). Workshop homepage: http://www.teleurope.eu/
artel12 Proceedings: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-931/
– 1st European Workshop on Awareness and Reflection in Learning Networks (ARNets11). Workshop homepage: http://teleurope.eu/
– Augmenting the Learning Experience with Collaboratice Reflection (ALECR11). Workshop homepage: http://www.i-maginary.it/
– 1st Workshop on Awareness and Reflection in Personal Learning Environemnts (ARPLE11). Workshop homepage: http://teleurope.eu/
arple11ÊProceedings: http://journal.webscience.org/ view/events/
—– Background of the EC-TEL conference —–
The EC-TEL 2013: Eight European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, will take place in Paphos, Cyprus, 17-21 September 2013. The motto for this year is “Scaling up learning for sustained impact”. The European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL) is a unique opportunity for researchers, practitioners, and policy makers to address current challenges and advances in the field. Through EC-TEL, established and emerging researchers as well as practitioners, entrepreneurs, and technology developers explore new collaborations, strengthen networks, and compliment their core experience. For more information visit http://www.ec-tel.eu/