This work package will prepare a sound conceptual basis for the project focusing on workplace learning and the supporting conceptual architecture of the Learning Layers approach. This work package represents the project’s interface to real-world work places, practices and environments in which prospective users are supposed to apply conceptual and technological results from the Learning Layers project in important learning situations. The empirical activities performed in this work package are intended to support the development of the conceptual basis which helps elicitation, complements and challenges the requirements for the tool infrastructures developed in the other WPs. Special attention will be paid to the adoption of learning technologies in physical workplaces and individual motivation. Furthermore, relationships between our application partners and other organisations in the cluster will be analysed. Thereby, organisational issues, like joint infrastructures, agreements for knowledge and content exchange and privacy questions as well as learning-relevant issues like learning in networks and the adoption of contents are in our focus. Firstly, the results gained at our application partners will be contrasted to other organisations in the network. Then the network structures relevant for learning should be analysed in depth. Finally, in a large-scale effort, the effects of the implemented LL infrastructure will be investigated for end-users in the two clusters who have adopted the technologies and the effects on the organisations.
4-step empirical procedure:
- An explorative qualitative study focusing on the application partners in year 1.
- A study focusing on the network structure in regard to cross organisational learning and knowledge transfer in networks of SME´s as in year 2
- In-depth study – Network effects to identify challenges, opportunities, barriers, usability requirements and performance criteria in year 3.
- An evaluation study of the adoption and effect of technologies within the two regional clusters in the final year
The Work package also coordinates the co-design activities in the technical work package, and ensures that results gained from empirical studies feed into the design process.
- O1.1 To investigate the state-of-practice at our application partners to inform the co-design activities. This will involve the investigation of work place learning and the role of digital artefacts in the inter-organisational as well as the cross-organisational knowledge transfer. In addition to the design activities also the projects conceptual basis will be established.
- O1.2 To investigate the learning and the knowledge sharing at the level of organisations and networks of SMEs. This will involve the investigation of the network structure and the identification of the most relevant relationships and stakeholders for networked learning and networked knowledge